Sunday 5 February 2012

It's snowing!


It took until Feb 4th, but lo and behold, it finally snowed at 9pm last night! We weren't beneath putting on boots, gloves, and hats and running outside at 10pm to crunch giant footsteps in it, make snowballs, stick our tongues out to catch snow flakes, make snow boobs on the cars, and smiley faces in the back yard. I'm sure it seems stupid to most people, but I haven't really seen or been in snow since February of 1989.


So, I took my first snowball to the face in order to get this picture (up there) of my housemate, Hazel, tossing one. My wife, Jemma, dumped a handful of snow down Hazel's back in retaliation. Hell hath no fury.....as they say. 
It snowed over night, and I'm not sure if it was the wine, the ambien or the snow flurries outside my bedroom illuminated by the amber street light, but I slept like a rock for the first time in a month, thank you very much, Mr. Jetlag.

This morning I woke up to this snow covered scene in the back yard. 

By noon, it was starting to melt. How perfect is that? Just enough to frolic like an idiot for one evening, experience the newness of it all again the next morning, and then have it start to melt away, as the temps get back to bearable.  I can handle this once a year. Take that, Buffalo!  (P.S. I can say that because I grew up in Niagara Falls, NY, very near Buffalo, where the lake effect snow & winds caused blizzard conditions for days & weeks at a time- hence the move to Florida after graduation) But this London snowfall....
I can totally handle this. It's like "Introducing the new Winter, now available in Diet"

1 comment:

  1. NJ has no snow right now. I'm kind of sad. We got a dusting, about it. I want a real snow storm, but none of that two blizzards within a week of each other crap again.

    ReplyDelete